Monday, July 27, 2009

Najee` the Greatest Doctor Ever!

Spending time with someone you hardly know is challenging. It is even harder to get them to talk about what they believe in and what they want for themselves. Personally, I believe that My partner (Tatenda) and I had one of the best children to do this.

Narjee` wanted to be a doctor, or....a make up artist. So we made a collage about it. She was very quiet when we started. But I think the task of gluing pictures on paper in an artistic way was more fun than a challenge. Afterwards, we got many of the kids at Boys and Girls Club North together and we played slap jack. That was when she became more comfortable around us. I also thought it was a good way to get some of her friends involved (like Olivia) when they did not have this opportunity, because there were a limited number of summer scholars, and we could only have one partner.

The next project was not as fun. It was our turn to do homework. But a power point on a dream career is not too bad, I had make up artist for obvious reasons, so Tatenda did doctor. In the end, she chose doctor, I cannot blame her. The medical Field is what I'm interested in also.

The career essay was fun, for me at least. I enjoyed teaching her different ways we could make the essay cooler, and she did all of the typing. I was extremely proud of her. She wanted to b a pediatrician, to help kids who needed her. I do not think there is any nobler thing in the world. She showed me just how intelligent and responsible she is in this project.

The action plan is something I am not worried about. We are going to do it tomorrow, and I already have done one for myself. It will be cool getting to see everything that she can do to make her dreams come true. Not as much fun as pasting pictures to a poster, but better than writing an essay.

Najee` taught me something too, not o limit my options, and to try everything at least once. I am looking into going back and seeing her more over the summer, or volunteering at the Boys and Girls Club. I really want to spend more time with these kids who are not only a tone of fun, but make you realize the simpler things in life again.

No comments:

Post a Comment